fuboTV is a new sports and entertainment live streaming service. If you are familiar with how Sling TV works, you will understand what they offer: some on-demand shows, but live streaming of all their channels. fuboTV hails itself as a sports-centric Internet TV streaming service with the world’s most popular live sports and entertainment content. The service offers access to national and regional networks via TVs, tablets, mobile devices, and desktop computers.
What Is fuboTV?
FuboTV is making a big push to become cord cutters’ first choice as a live, over-the-top streaming service. It has inked deals with Fox, NBC, CBS, as well as Scripps, the owner of Food Network. That expanded content makes fuboTV interesting, but interface limitations could be deal-breakers for general streaming video fans. They will find larger catalogs and better-quality services elsewhere.
Things are different for sports fans. FuboTV started as a sports network and that is where its strengths still lie. Half of its networks are dedicated to broadcasting sports – especially soccer. There are some limitations in fuboTV’s sports coverage, with limited access to local broadcasts, restrictions imposed by the big sports leagues, and the absence of ABC and ESPN.
Despite those limitations, fuboTV makes a credible sports-centric alternative to the traditional cable providers. It is a great choice for cord-cutting sports fans of all stripes. Sports fans with broad interests will appreciate its coverage of sports ranging from darts to drag racing to Australian Rules Football. However, die-hard fans of the major American sports leagues like the NFL may find fuboTV’s limitations outweigh the monthly subscription cost.
FuboTV comes with more than 95 channels as part of its standard package. Those include:
- NBC, NBCSN, CNBC and USA Network
- FOX, FS1, FS2 and FOX Soccer Plus
- TNT and TBS
- beIN Sports
- CBS and CBS Sports Network
- NFL Network
- NBA TV
Aside from the standard package, fuboTV offers a few other plans that flesh out your entertainment options.
The fuboTV Family package costs $59.99 per month. It includes the same channels as fubo Standard, but allows you to watch on up to three screens at once. That’s certainly worth considering for just $5 more per month.
The fuboTV Ultra package cranks things up to 164 channels for $74.99 per month for the first three months, then $79.99 per month thereafter. This package includes fubo Standard and tops it off with fubo Extra, Showtime and Sports Plus, along with 500 hours of recording space and the ability to watch on three screens at once.
The fuboTV Latino quarterly package is a separate, 31-channel package of Spanish-language content. As its name states, it’s billed every three months, and costs $19.99 per month, or $59.97 billed every three months.
Availability and platforms
FuboTV is available on most major platforms:
- Web browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox)
- Most iPhones and iPads (iOS 10 and later)
- Most Android phones and tablets (OS 5.0 and later)
- Apple TV (4th gen and later)
- Roku (model 3600X and later)
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Fire TV (all models)
- Vizio Smartcast TVs
- All Chromecast devices
The only typical streaming devices missing are Xbox and PlayStation 4 (which has Hulu with Live TV and YouTube TV).
FuboTV 60-Second Review
Designed with sports in mind, fuboTV offers a wide selection of sports networks. Many of the networks it offers are difficult to find on even traditional cable TV without paying exceptionally high subscription fees. Meanwhile, the service also offers dozens of entertainment-focused channels in its TV package line-up as well.
All told, fuboTV offers a unique mixture of sports and entertainment that you won’t get from any other internet TV streaming service. The real problem for new subscribers might be the cost of entry, as the service is more expensive than its competitors (primarily due to the cost of providing sports networks). That said, if you’re a hardcore sports fan, fuboTV should be one you at least give shot via its 7-day free trial.
FuboTV Pros and Cons
With over 80+ channels to offer, fuboTV makes an attractive offer for sports fans. As with any streaming service, however, there’s a bit of give and take.
- It’s loaded with sports. FuboTV provides a wider range of sports than other OTT streaming services.
- Bang for your buck. Although the entry price is high compared to other services, fuboTV offers a large load of sports networks that typically cost a lot to access through traditional cable.
- High definition streaming. FuboTV offers consistently good quality streaming across its service.
- Large entertainment channel line-up. Those 80+ channels offer more than just sports. FuboTV provides dozens of must-have entertainment networks, as well.
- High cost of entry. FuboTV’s cost may be good for what you’re getting, but it’s still far pricier than most competitors in this market.
- No ESPN. The lack of ESPN is likely FuboTV’s biggest black eye.
- No gaming console apps. Gaming console users are among the biggest sports fans, making fuboTV’s lack of any console apps a notable problem.
FuboTV review summary:
- Plans start at $55/mo.
- Includes over 95 channels — more than any other live TV streaming service
- Comes with 30 hours of cloud DVR storage that stores indefinitely
- Two simultaneous streams